Lamar Lemonade Stand

Cheap and Refreshing

Job Satisfaction

When I graduated high school I worked full time in my father's donut shop. Frequently I would work the 9pm to 7am shift. Night time was when we mixed the dough, fried the donuts, and met all the drunks that walked the streets at 2 am after the bars closed...Some nights were better than others but generally I found the night shift to be challenging. I LOVE TO SLEEP and if I was working than I wasn't sleeping. The graveyard shift just wasn't for me...

Then I worked at a hospital checking patients into the Emergency Room. I saw some pretty interesting things during my three years there. I worked with some awesome nurses and doctors and I met some cool people, but sometimes...well, life in the ER just gets a little tense. As a receptionist I felt like it was as much my job keeping people happy as it was to answer phones and fill out paperwork.

After I graduated college I started working in a dental office as a receptionist. The practice I worked for had office hours from 7am to 7pm Monday through Friday and even SATURDAY 8 to 5. We were required to be at work a half hour before opening and didn't leave until the money balanced and the floors were vacuumed. Some days I worked from 6:30am to 8:30pm (with a lunch somewhere in the middle) and it made for a VERY LONG DAY! Boy those early mornings and long days were tough...

Now I am a mommy to the most precious beautiful baby boy in the whole world and I feel like it is the hardest, yet most rewarding job I have ever had. I work early mornings, long days, most nights, and every weekend. We have good days and bad days, happy moments and sad moments but what makes this job better than any of my previous jobs is that I'm not counting down the hours until the end of my shift. I'm not working just to work or make money. I truly love staying home and being Spencer's mommy. I wouldn't want it any other way and I am so grateful that I am able to stay home full time.

I have had a lot of moms and seen a lot of examples of motherhood in my life and I wanted to say thank you, thank you to all the women who have loved and sacrificed and have taught me what it means to be a mommy.

1 comments:

My kids mom, and my husband's wife May 13, 2010 at 1:14 AM  

I need to send you Dr. Laura's book, "In Praise of Stay at Home Moms" ... to boost you on those "hard days."

I'm proud of you, Rachel! The bonding, and the sacred time you carve out of your day to be Spencer's mommy, and Adam's wife will have incalculable benefits and rewards. Motherhood looks good on you. You have a darling little family.

Adam, Rachel, Spencer, and Natalie

Adam, Rachel,  Spencer, and Natalie

What We Believe

Followers