Adam and I have been extended assignments at church, we have been asked to work in primary with the children. Specifically, we teach the Valiant class which is the 10 and 11 year-olds. This week was our fourth time teaching. I think each week our lessons get better/more fun as we get to know the kids and vice-versa.
We started today's lesson off by giving each child a penny and told them to place it in their shoe. We then moved on with our lesson plan without saying any more about the penny. At the end of the lesson we would ask the kids about their pennies. We would then make a comparison between the penny and Jesus Christ--Just like the penny in our shoes, we can't see Jesus Christ but we can feel his presence and have a constant reminder of his love.
Our class was larger than usual today because a teacher called out sick. We had 10 kids instead of 5, which was great because it made for more conversation, however the unanticipated additional conversation made us a little short on time. I found myself hurrying through the lesson plan and even skipping some parts in order to get through everything.
The bell rang indicating class was over so we had a closing prayer and I excused the children to their next class. As the kids were filing out the door I thanked them for their participation and one of the kids stopped...
Very confused the child asked, "What are we supposed to do with the penny in our shoe?"
Oh yeah, I had these children put pennies in their shoes and I never explained why...and instead of redeeming myself and explaining the purpose of the activity I said, "Uh, just keep it."
Brilliant, another teachable moment ruined and ten more Britains that think Americans are daft.
Dance, Dance and more Dance
7 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment