Lately it seems like I have been "volunteering" to do a lot of things. About a month ago the 80 year-old woman that leads singing time at church for the 3 to 11 year-olds approached me.
Woman: Thank you for your help today with the children.
Me: Oh you're welcome.
Woman: I just don't know what to do about teaching these children this song.
This is the aid the woman was using to teach the song, a two ringed notebook with typed out lyrics.
Me: Yeah, it seems like it is difficult for the children to see the words, and most of the children aren't reading yet.
Woman: I know but I just don't know what to do.
Me: Well, we could make posters of the songs.
Woman: Oh would you?!?!
Me:...Ummm...sure. I can do that.
Here are the posters I made:
While I was putting the finishing touches on the posters I found out that the old woman told the primary presidency that I had "volunteered" to make the posters. They were so impressed with my ambition.
***
Two weeks ago I got a phone call randomly from another woman in the ward. She was just chatting about this and that, nothing really of consequence. Then she started to tell me about a girl named Katie...Katie is a less-active member of the church who has recently started coming to church again.
Woman: Do you know Katie, Rachel?
Me: No, I don't think I've ever met her.
Woman: Oh, well she knows you Rachel. She is very interested in you and wants to get to know you Rachel.
(This woman always uses my name when she talks to me)
Me: Oh really?
Woman: Yes, in fact Rachel, are you coming to Keep Fit on Tuesday Rachel?
(Keep Fit is an exercise group for mums trying to get back into shape. We meet every Tuesday at the church.)
Me: You know, I don't know. I've got a full week this week. I'm picking up my father-in-law from the airport on Friday and I have several things I need to get done before he gets here.
Woman: Well, I ask Rachel because I have been appointed to Katie as a visiting teacher and I have invited her to come on Tuesday.
(Visiting teaching is a program in the church designed to fellowship others. A visiting teacher will visit another sister on a regular bases to try to help the sister feel loved and welcomed.)
Woman: You see, she is less-active and I thought it might be nice for her to meet some of the other sisters in a more causal setting and she is very interested in meeting YOU Rachel.
Me: Oh...well, I guess I can plan on going to Keep Fit on Tuesday.
Woman: Oh really Rachel? That is wonderful. For you see Rachel, my visiting teaching partner will be away for the next few months and I thought that if Katie met you and felt comfortable with you then perhaps she would let us pay her a proper visit in her home.
Me:Oh, okay, sure. That sounds great. I would love to meet Katie.
Woman:Oh really Rachel? That is just wonderful. For you see Rachel, my partner will be gone until May so I want Katie to meet someone that she will be comfortable with.
Me: No problem, I would love to help out, just consider me your new visiting teaching partner until your other partner gets back.
Woman: OH REALLY RACHEL? That is so great! Well I will talk with Katie about Keep Fit and I guess I will see you on Tuesday Rachel.
Me: Sounds good.
Long story short, I didn't end up meeting Katie on Tuesday, she wasn't able to make it, but the woman made arrangements with the other two sisters she has been assigned to and we went to visit them. After the visits we were driving home and talking about how the visits went...
Me: Well, thanks for asking me to come along with you, I really enjoyed meeting and visiting with those sisters today.
Woman: But I didn't ask you to Rachel, you volunteered. You were led by the spirit.
Me: Oh....yeah....
I didn't know quite what to say to this. Although I didn't mind being a substitute visiting teaching partner with this woman I didn't really feel like I had volunteered for the position. I felt like she indirectly asked for my help and I said yes. Just like with the posters, I was just giving suggestions to a woman who was asking for ideas and next thing I knew, I was hooked...
Anyway, I guess I have just started to notice a pattern with older British women, they talk to you until you "volunteer" to do something for them. The elderly are pretty sly...I need to be more careful and be on top of my game. Who knows what I'll "volunteer" for next! :)
3 comments:
That is great - I got a pretty good chuckle out of it. At least now you know that you may need to be on your guard anytime an elderly lady starts chatting to you about anything...who knows what you will volunteer for next?
i love it. way to volunteer! :) you're hilarious by the way.
Maybe you could "volunteer" to come visit an old American lady who is lonely! See you in two weeks!
Post a Comment