Lamar Lemonade Stand

Cheap and Refreshing

You must have really liked High School huh?

I'll be the first to admit that I was not a big fan of High School. Yes there were things about that time of my life that I loved; I loved that I was at my peak when it came to sports-even if I didn't always "win" I never ran faster or played harder than I did when I was in High School. I loved that I had endless possibilities. I could be or do anything that I wanted. I can still be and do most anything now, but as a mother I have another person 100% dependent upon me, which, in some situations can be quite limiting.

What I didn't care for in High School was the pettiness, the gossip, and the emotional insecurity. Everyday I would see people behaving badly in order to feel good and "boost" their self confidence. Usually one's good feelings and self esteem came at the cost of another's. Basically what I did not care for in High School was the blatant disregard for common courtesy and humanity.

We are creatures of habit and unfortunately some people never grow out of High School...I had two things happen today that reminded me of my teenage years. When the first incident happened I laughed, I thought it was hysterical. I thought it was rude, but I also thought it was hysterical. When the second incident happened I knew enough was enough and I had to blog about it. So here it goes...

I have a friend who has recently announced that she is pregnant. I am super excited for my friend. I know her and her husband have been wanting a baby for a while and she is going to be a fantastic mommy. She did a little blog post about how she thinks she might have felt her baby move for the first time. It was obvious that she was excited and proud to be pregnant. She received a comment on her post about how the feeling that she felt was in all actuality more likely to be gas than her baby.

I felt like my friend's feelings might have been hurt a little bit from the comment because she replied to the comment and in a very polite way she defended herself and then gave her commenter the benefit of doubt. What is so wrong about letting a proud mom enjoy the idea that she felt her baby move for the first time anyway? It is so magical and exciting and much more fun to think it is the baby rather than gas. So I left a comment on her blog expressing my excitement for her and encouraged her to keep thinking those little movements were her baby.

A few hours later I get a notice that there is a comment on my blog and it is from my friend's...friend?!?. I have no idea who this person is but apparently she felt so strongly about making sure I knew my friend was feeling gas and not her growing fetus that she blog stocked me and left a lengthy comment on my blog. It was basically her resume proving how qualified she was to decipher gas verse baby movements during pregnancy. See what I mean; laugh out loud hysterical!

The second incident is significantly less humorous and is what drove me to write this lengthy blog post in the first place. I received another comment on my blog today that was not only rude, but completely uncalled for...

Recently I created a post about using Facebook. My brother made the comment that using and depending TOO MUCH on Facebook for social interactions is dangerous because it prevents people from having real face to face contact and relationships. He ended his comment this way:

" I hope, even though we both use Facebook, you and I never become 'Facebook Friends.'"

Translation: I love you and I want to have a good meaningful relationship with you that lasts our entire lives.

I thought this was the cutest, nicest thing a brother could say to a sister. Thank you brother, I love you too!

So anyway, I received a comment today that was really more like a comment on my brother's comment. This person, again I really have no idea who she is, proceeded to say that my brother was "full of crap" (direct quote) and unintelligent (in so many words). She then proceeded to tell me that if I didn't USE Facebook on a regular bases than I was "missing out" and "deserved to be left out." Boy, this person sounds lovely doesn't she? She sure convinced me. Hopefully I'll be able to find her on Facebook and we can be virtual BFF's (Best Friends Forever)...Do you think she realized how ridiculous she came off?

I didn't think it was necessary until now to clarify that I don't like people being rude to me, my family, or anyone on my blog. As we all learned from watching Babmi as children: "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all." Don't waste your time leaving rude comments on my blog because I will delete them and then I will make you look foolish by blogging about you.

All I can say to those who feel the need to be rude and put others down is, you must have really liked High School huh?

5 comments:

LuckyLavender February 25, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

You tell em Rachel. I to was hesitant about face book and I am hoping oneday to put the person next to me instead of a picture. Computers have almost elimanated the social interaction we enjoyed as kids. As for your pregnant friend. I do not care how qualified you are unless you are right there you probably do not know. If your friend says she felt the baby move then she felt the baby move.

T3 February 25, 2010 at 10:29 PM  

Rachel, your Awesome! I totally agree with your long post. Some people are...well...just rude and petty. Life's too short.

lisa February 27, 2010 at 9:11 PM  

Becoming a mom is such a personal thing. It happens to us in waves. I am grateful no one tried to rob me of one minute of the joy as I gre into motherhood. Does it matter if or if not...not one bit. Joy in the journey my friend...it is all we can ask for.

Tasha March 1, 2010 at 1:50 PM  

How rude! Especially since this person found your blog and decided it's their "duty" to continually correct. Let a mother enjoy her moment, and if you don't know them, what right do you have to comment on their blog? I personally think there's a line about commenting on blogs. There are public blogs that are meant for friends and family, and you can usually tell who they're meant for. Then there are public blogs that are meant for the world to read. Sorry, Rachel, been seeing way too much of it as of late.

Unknown March 1, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

Wow, I can't believe someone would say those things. You may want to consider going private with your blog if you get rude messages all the time. We did, I it is great because you always know who is looking at your blog.

Adam, Rachel, Spencer, and Natalie

Adam, Rachel,  Spencer, and Natalie

What We Believe

Followers