Not everyone knows this about me but I am adopted. It is true. Now Rachel, you say, you look too much like your other siblings for any one to believe you are adopted. Let me explain. To make a long story short, six years ago when I graduated high school my living arrangement plans fell through and I was more or less "homeless." Sure I could have lived at home but what eighteen year-old wants to do that?
One day I was talking with my friend Amanda about my situation and she invited me to stay with her family for a few days while I found my feet. I was given a guest bedroom and told to make myself at home. The plan was that I would stay for the summer and then find a roommate and apartment when the Fall semester started. Time came for me to find a new place to live but Brenda, Amanda's mom, was making it VERY easy for me to stay put. She would say things like "if you can't find a new place you can stay here," or "you're welcome to stay as long as you'd like," and so I did. Over the summer I bonded with Brenda and her family and quickly became one of the family myself. Two years later I finally moved out....because I got married.
We've stayed close over the years even though Adam has moved me all over the world. Brenda has taken me under her wing and treats me just like she would one of her other five children. About a week ago we were talking on the phone and Brenda said something that is still making me cry tears of joy...
Mom: "I want to fly you and Spencer home, if you'll let me. It can be for as long or as short as you want but I think it would be nice for you to come home and see your family and I can hold Spencer while you sleep...What do you think? Would you let me do that? I've just felt so helpless being so far away from you and I wanted to do something...I know the first few months are difficult and it is something my mom did for me. Would you let me do that?"
Of course I was bawling at this point, I've been missing home so much that it hurts and just like a true mother she knew just what I was needing and offered without hesitation.
I haven't bought the tickets yet because I am waiting on passports but I am hoping to go home in April. I'll be home for Easter!
Dance, Dance and more Dance
7 years ago
3 comments:
I'm crying for you over this one. That's so touching. Brenda and her family are amazing, amazing people. So glad you'll be able to come home. Please let me know when you'll be in the area, because we want to spoil you with presents. And let's be honest, we just really want to see Spencer ourselves.
Tears of joy from my eyes too! I'm so sorry you've been homesick, and I'm glad you'll be able to come home. Brenda is definitely one of God's helpers...I'm glad she's mothering you and helping you feel His great love.
With love,
Your (step) sister
Aubrey
P.S. You think Brenda would "adopt" me and the kids too? :)
You forgot to say how good you were for me during a time when all my children had left me!!! Hurry home, I miss you!!!
Post a Comment