Lamar Lemonade Stand

Cheap and Refreshing

Hurricane Irene

One natural disaster after another. Hurricane Irene passed over us last night and is currently terrorizing New Jersey. Our area was mildly hit with 40mph winds and alotta rain. It rained all yesterday and most of last night. We were under a Flash Floods Alert but I believe that has lifted now. Weather.com assures the worst is not over yet but for our area I think we've seen what we will of Miss Irene.

I had quite the experience on Friday afternoon while at the store picking up some last minute things for the big storm. Now when I say last minute things I'm not talking about batteries or bottled water, we already had all of that in our food storage. No, our last minute items were strawberry Twizzlers, glow in the dark bracelets, and a few other fun things to make our time indoors a little more like a party and less like house arrest.

While at the store I saw people acting crazy, like the end of the world was coming. Everyone was rushing to get cases of water and jumbo packs of toilet paper. One of my friends took this picture of the water aisle at our local grocery store and posted it on facebook:

Literally not a single bottle of water left on the shelf. Our local stores must have made bank on this hurricane crisis. The checkout lines were as long as the eye could see. It probably took me thirty minutes just to checkout. The parking lot was a mess with cars piled up in gridlock and car alarms blaring. Had I known what I was getting myself into I would have skipped the Twizzlers, but since I was already there I couldn't come home empty handed.

We never lost power so we didn't need to bust out the glow bracelets. I guess I'll save those for the next crisis. Spencer got a little anxious being inside all day. We tried to distract him by building a fort, which worked pretty well for a while.
Spencer decided it was more fun to destroy the fort and wrestle with daddy under the blanket...
We had a good time despite the poor weather. Again we consider ourselves very blessed. We appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers. Hopefully the natural disasters will take the rest of the year off.

1 comments:

Missy! August 29, 2011 at 12:05 AM  

glad to hear everything went so well!

Adam, Rachel, Spencer, and Natalie

Adam, Rachel,  Spencer, and Natalie

What We Believe

Followers