You've probably heard about (or experienced) the 5.8 Earthquake that hit in Richmond Virginia yesterday. We definitely felt the shaking in the Lamar home. I wish I could report we were somewhere interesting or doing something important when the quake hit but alas, we were napping.
At first the quake was pretty light, I actually thought Adam had come home early and was playing a trick on me by laying on the floor shaking the bed. I less than patiently barked at him to "quit it." ...Give me a break, I was half asleep. It didn't take long to fully wake up though, the shaking picked up and soon our whole house was rattling. It was a little startling but wasn't too scary.
Once our house stopped rocking I went down the hall to check on Spencer. He was sitting up in his bed, looking at me like, "mom, my room was shaking and woke me up!" He tried to explain to me what had happened by shaking his head back and forth as fast as he could. He didn't seem very upset by the quake, just annoyed his nap was interrupted.
We experienced zero damaged from the earthquake. A few of our pictures are now hanging slightly slanted but that's about the extent of our natural disaster woes. Others however were less fortunate. Several houses in my neighborhood had pipes burst which tragically resulted in their homes being deemed "unlivable."
This house for example, only a few doors down from where we live:
I consider myself, my home, and my family very blessed to have survived the quake completely unharmed. It very well could have been our home or the house next to ours who's pipes broke and resulted in us being homeless. This has been a good opportunity to get to know our neighbors a little better and reach out to them in their time of need.
3 comments:
I'm glad you guys are doing so well!
oh my. I felt it and I am grateful there was no damage to our home. Those poor people! I am glad you are ok also. It startled a lot of us.
So glad you are all right. I was worried about you!!!! Hope you are feeling better and putting on some weight. I have some extra if you want it!!
Post a Comment