Spencer and I finally made it back to England. We actually got home Saturday afternoon but I have been very busy catching up on my sleep that there has been little time to do anything else. The trip home was amazingly unremarkable. I prefer my trips to be uneventful and it was very nice for a change.
My sister Aubrey and her kids drove us to the airport Friday afternoon and wished us well.
When we boarded our second flight I took Spencer in his car seat and plopped him down in my assigned seat, I strapped him in and then took the seat next to him. Then I spent the next 10 minutes trying to avoid everyone who walked by and preparing myself to act like I didn't know what was going on if someone approached me...great plan I know. Finally a flight attendant did approach me...
Attendant: Excuse me Miss, what kind of car seat is that?
Me: Uhhh, you mean the model? I have no idea, but it does say on the side that it is airline approved.
Attendant: May I take a look? We have a policy that all car seats must be forward facing.
Me: Oh, alright. (I unfasten the seatbelt, turn his seat around, then refasten the seatbelt)
Attendant: Um, we unfortunately cannot allow the seatbelt to cross over the child like that because it is not safe. We do however have an infant cot you can use if you would like. I'll check back in a few minutes to help you with that.
When the flight attendant comes back a few minutes later he starts showing me how the infant cot works...
Me: I would prefer not to use the cot.
Attendant: Oh! Well, you can use your car seat if you'd like but you'll have to hold him for takeoff and landing AND any time the seatbelt light turns on.
Me: That is not a problem.
Attendant: And I will have to take the seat to store it safely for takeoff because it is not safe to have it there.
Me: But you'll bring it back right?
Attendant: Of course, as soon as the seatbelt light turns off I'll bring your seat back to you.
Ah glorious! Why couldn't the first flight crew have been this helpful? The timing was absolutely perfect. During takeoff I fed Spencer. When the seatbelt light turned off I popped up to burp and change him. By the time I got back to my seat his car seat was in position. I laid him down and strapped him in. 10 minutes later he was fast asleep and slept for the next 8 hours. I stayed awake long enough to eat the provided dinner and then I slept for about four hours.
I learned a few things from this trip...First, momma knows best, and second, when in doubt pretend you don't know what is going on...I've got my game plan.
1 comments:
Rachel,
Glad you figured it all out and the attendant was somewhat cooperative! I miss you, but I'm glad your trip home wasn't as crazy as your trip here.
Post a Comment