Another poop post but fortunately (or regrettably) no pictures this time...
Last night we were getting Spencer in the tub and while standing up in his bath water he started making a strange squatting motion. I heard a little toot and I asked him if he'd like to sit on the toilet. Very excitedly he shook his head 'yes.'
It took us a few tries to figure out how to get him on the pot without him falling in. Once secured Spencer concentrated real hard until his face turned red. After a little straining he finally managed to push out a small amount of poo.
This proud momma was so excited Adam had to take away my phone so that I didn't call everyone in my contact list and inform them of our big news. This was the first time I ever asked Spencer to sit on the toilet and he was a pro.
I did want to snap a picture or two but Spencer was anxious to close the lid and flush...sorry folks.
I had another opportunity today to take a picture, after lunch when I was preparing Spencer for his nap I mentioned to him we should take a trip to the potty. He was very excited and even beat me to the bathroom door. We got him situated and he took care of business again.
The reason I didn't take a picture was because I would always know it was his second poo and not his first...and honestly who takes a picture of the second poo and not the first?
So I guess this means we're potty training now. I never thought Spencer would be ready before I was. Not that I'm not willing, I'm just not prepared. I don't know the first thing about potty training someone.
Do I get a little potty chair or since Spencer is already so interested in going on the big boy pot do I just get a smaller seat to fit over the toilet seat? What do I say and not say when it comes to encouraging him and reminding him to go? How often should we try to go?
Should I reward him and if so what is an appropriate reward and does he get it every time? And all those other questions that I don't even know to ask yet. Tell me, what do you do? What works and what absolutely does not work?
The idea of Spencer being out of diapers before the next little Lamar arrives is really appealing, but is that a reasonable expectation? Any thoughts, suggestions, tips, and words of encouragement are welcomed.
Dance, Dance and more Dance
7 years ago
2 comments:
We did like three m&m's each time he went.(and counted them each time so its helping in another way too) If he went poo we did I think some fruit snacks or part of a fruit roll up. What was also the most successful is going straight to underwear. They have lots of accidents at first, but then they get it. We also did pull ups at night. Some say this is bad... what ever. I SO was not going to go there all the time every night. And we just told him these are just for nighttime. He got it. As to getting a smaller potty for him. I would say no if he is already going in the toilet. But that's just my opinion. Why mess with a good thing. And the little potty is SO NOT FUN FOR YOU. And we never did the seat that goes on the toilet. Again, if he is already going on the regular toilet, I would say just stick with it. They get used to how to sit and get on without falling it. So yah... that is my two cents. We pretty much did the 3 day potty training method. Which is all about positive reinforcement and just underwear.
I think you are super lucky! That's all I know. Maiby turns four next week, and I've been reminding her every day that I'm not buying any more diapers after we get back from our trip that weekend. She knows how to do it, she's just not interested. I wish I had more to help with.
Post a Comment