Somebody out there is watching out for the Lamar family, and they are one smooth operator. We appreciate all the thoughts and prayers of all our family and friends; we have truly been blessed during our transition from the states to the U.K.
First and foremost, we were able to rent out our house just in the nick of time. Five hours before we boarded our plane we were signing a lease and turning over the keys. It all worked out so perfectly. We rented to a nice young couple with a four year old son. They just got new jobs in the area and needed a place to rent starting Nov. 1st. We felt very comfortable with them as renters and know that they will take good care of our home while we are gone.
The flight over was generally pretty good. We didn't have any delays and we didn't really hit any turbulence. Of course it was a red eye and we didn't get more than about 3 hours of sleep but we did get dinner and a movie. Adam and I both watched the new Transformers, however I only made it about half way through.
The only real hiccup we had was once we landed. Adam and I made our way to the baggage claim in terminal two instead of terminal one. Of course when we got there and realized we were in the wrong place there wasn't any turning back. We had to exit the airport, go back through security and then pick up our luggage. No harm done though, we probably would have spent that time waiting for our luggage at the baggage claim anyway:)
We had a driver there at the airport waiting to pick us up and take us to our temporary housing. Here are some pictures of our crib :)

It looks real nice (and it is) but there were a few surprises. The biggest problem is that the shower is too small and I can't reach down if I drop something.
I would have to say that the cars and driving over here are probably the weirdest things I have ever experienced. It probably didn't help that I was sleep deprived but every time we made a turn and I saw an oncoming car I would get scared about being on the wrong side of the road and worried about crashing.
We have been here a few days now and I still get confused with the driving patterns. I never know which way to look when I want to cross the road and even when I can predict which direction the cars are coming I can't tell where they are going. I am sure onlookers get a good laugh at my confusion. Hopefully by the time our car arrives in December I'll have a good enough grip on reading street signs and which side of the road to drive on that I'll be able to drive without causing too many problems:)
All in all, we LOVE it here in England. The country side is beautiful and the people are charming. We are excited to get settled and make England our home for the next 12 months!
Dance, Dance and more Dance
7 years ago
1 comments:
Looks nice. I can't imagine how hard it would be trying to get used to driving on the other side of the road. I would probably be in a constant state of panic.
Post a Comment