Today was the BIG DAY, the moment of truth; the day we went to the doctor's to find out the gender of our baby.
13 Weeks Ago...
When we found out we were expecting Adam made up his mind about what he wanted the first one to be. He, like most other men out there, wanted a boy. His argument was that every kid needs a big older brother to help them through life, so therefore, our baby had to be a boy. To counter-argue I offered that having a girl first would guarantee a built in babysitter and would be a nice alternative to a big brother if our child happened to be female.
Adam wouldn't have anything to do with this "girl talk" I was trying to entertain and politely corrected me if I referred to our child in any way other than being a little boy. Every few weeks I planted seeds in Adam's mind in hopes to prepare him for the notion of a baby girl by saying something like: "Wouldn't it be funny if our "little guy" actually turned out to be a "little girl?" Adam would typically respond with a "not really," and continue on with whatever it was he was doing. I never really got much of a rise out of him.
Finally I pulled out the BIG GUNS and started telling him about dreams I had of our little girl having an ear infection, or of how the Chinese fortune wheel predicted our child would be female based on my birth and conception date. Holding his ground Adam reminded me that we were not Chinese so therefore the prediction was inaccurate.
4 Hours Ago...
After weeks of anticipation and nonstop excitement Adam and I went in for our four-month check up. I was so nervous I couldn't sit still. Who was going to be right? Were we going to have Adam's little boy, or my little girl? We were called back and put in a room to wait for Dr. Keith. I noticed the room was kind of plain; there wasn't a big machine that looked like a gender detector like I had expected. When Dr. Keith came in I asked her if we could try to see the gender today. She sadly informed me that the office didn't have "that kind of equipment" and that we would need to go to a radiology clinic for our ultrasound. Oh...Okay...
1 Nap Later...
All I wanted to do after that disappointing doctor's appointment was to go home and take a nap...so I did. After waking up, I resolved to make some phone calls tomorrow to nearby radiology clinics to see if they A. take our insurance, and B. have immediate availability.
To Be Continued...
5 comments:
So Adam and Rachel. Thank you for including us to share your blog..it is so much fun to read..so when will you know or maybe you will decide to just wait and see. Please try to come to the missionary reunion in Oct. It wouls be so much fun to see you Adam and meet you Rachel. Oct 2nd at our home, in the evening. I will be sending out the details by e-mail and facebook in August and Sept..So happy for you two..
Sorry the dr. appointment was so disappointing. Any luck on the radiology clinic yet? Glad your energy level is up and feeling better. :)
Jay really wanted a girl, he thinks they are cuter :)
We hung out with your little sister the other night and Jay kept leaning over to me saying "She is a mini-Rachel!" It kept weirding him out.
That's so hard when you get your hopes up for something and then are let down...But now you know!! and I want to see pics ASAP!!
yeah! Boys are great.
Post a Comment